sabato 29 gennaio 2011

Embrace death, live life.

That's what this church hard carved into it in italian that was close to St. Peters sq. It seems kind of somber at first. Until you realize that it's actually beautiful. Because if you believe in an after life, and God, as you would if you're going to church, death isnt the end, more like the most beautiful beginning of all.

So what have I been up to? Well everything. But I guess I will be more specific then that. Yesterday was such a full day, from beginning to end. Woke up at 7 to be at school for 930 to get my permesso, which is the permit that allows me to live in Italy for 4 months. Which could have been a quick and easy process if homegirl who was doing all of it had her shit together. But she didnt. She also looked like Molly Ringwald, with the poofy 80's hair and everything. Which wasnt helping her case because it just seemed to fuzz up more the more she stressed out.
Then the real fun happened, and I went to the Colosseum. And I had been to the Colosseum in my sophomore year of high school, but it was still absolutely incredible. It will never get old. Something that grand doesnt lose its power. It will always have this sense of magnitude that you cant truly grasp until you're there and you see it. Feel it. It's too good to be real. Which seems to be the constant theme of this trip, it all seems too good to be true.
We then went to Palatine, which is the hill in which Rome was built, or so says the myth. Its the hill where Romulus killed Remus, where Rome was born. And there is an archeological dig that has evidence that matches the dates in the myth to real time. So there must be some fact to the fiction. Which is pretty cool.
Right after that we went to the ruins of the Arch of Titus, The Vesta Temple, And the sight where Julius Caesar was cremated. The banner on the chariot in the Arch of Titus read "Remember you are only a man" which is so cool to me. It's just such a powerful line coming from a time where all men in power considered themselves gods (not that thats changed much...). It seems humble. And humility is always endearing. People still bring flowers to the grave of Julius. Or the ruins of where he was cremated anyways. And the Vesta Temple was where the Vestal Virgins lived. Who, come to find out had pretty great lives. Until they acted up, then they were killed. But their blood was holy, so it couldnt be shed. So they did the humanitarian thing and buried them alive or starved them to death. Awwww, how sweet! jk lolz.
If I gave a play by play to everything I was looking out on a daily basis I would need a full week to blog, because everyday here is filled with experiences and culture and learning, and it isnt even overwhelming. The guys keep making fun of me because every time we go on tours or I see something I like, I write it down so I dont forget it. Because I dont want to forget. I want to absorb everything. I want to learn as much as I possibly can. All. The. Time. I dont ever want to go to sleep because it makes me feel like I'm going to miss something. But I mean, I guess I have to...
After all the site seeing we decided to go get apperitivo. Which is this thing italians do where all you have to do is buy a drink and then you get to eat for free. Which is a BALLIN idea if you're poor. Which I am (slight hyperbole). But see, we silly Americans, were confused. We were under the impression you would get big food. But when you got there, it was all like tea sandwiches. So what do 8 starving 20 year olds do? We run the place out of house and home with those little sandwiches hahahahaha
We took turns making runs to the trays of food and bringing back plate fulls for the table. hahaha Was it our finest hour? Nah. Was it fun? Hell yes.
Now, by the time we actually got home, I'm exhausted, because I failed to mention how one of the boys (whos name shall not be mentioned for his own prides sake) got us soooo lost. So we've been walking for hours. I get to the house and we're all hanging out. But I fall asleep on the couch, but my roommate still wants to go out. So at around 11 I drag my butt off the couch and Erika, John, and I all take a cab to Campo Di Fiori. aka where every drunken American goes. Which believe me, wasnt my call. But like I said, I'd rather go out than sleep. Because I'm apparently a masochist.
Despite the fact that I had a man touch my hands and told me I needed to get my nails done (to which I replied "Dont fucking touch me") it was a good night. I got to know my friend a lot better, and laugh at people, which is so Christ-like of me, I know.

Today I went to St. Peters Sq. Which is the most breath taking place in the world to me. It's been my happy place since sophomore year of high school. If you ever want to feel small. Go there, stand in the center, and let the grandeur of life wash over you. It's power is immense and beautiful and I dont think I've been anywhere like it anywhere else in the world. We did a lot of other little things today, but they're all so irrelevant in comparison to that.

Tonight is game night with the boys because it's supposed to pour tonight, so we decided to stay in. I'm not going to lie, I am so happy with the friends I'm making here. They all have so much to offer individually, and when we're all together it's just so copasetic. But then again I'm a total corn ball and love everyone, so maybe I'm just wearing my rose colored glasses. But hey, if I am, I dont want to take them off. Because I'm so happy. And thats something not everyone can say. Can you?

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento