giovedì 27 gennaio 2011

Well I was worried I was going to get fat..

But then today I realized that I have a 45 minute walk to school, plus walking to the metro, plus walking everywhere else in this city. So I no longer have that fear.
Today was my orientation with my school, beforehand was just orientation with API (the abroad program I'm with), but today we met our advisors and went to the actual Lorenzo Di Medici school. Which turned out to be more of an ordeal than we had anticipated. Because we thought it was as simple as taking the metro and getting off and boom! there's the school. But obviously, that was not the case. And we had no idea where we were going. So we did the nerdy tourist thing and whipped out the map. Ya, we went there. And when I say we, I mean myself and my roommates. Actually it was more like the three of them looking at the map, and me pretending I didnt know them, because I am almost as bad as a man when it comes to directions. Then I remembered that I can actually speak italian (a little anyways) and decided to ask this man wearing a tuxedo and a red tie (at 9am....) if he knew where the street was. But even after finding the street we had no idea where to go, because Roman streets like to curve and start and stop randomly with out any warning. And in my mind I was thinking "Dammit, the boys are going to be there and laugh at us for being late" which is my biggest pet peeve of all time. Then, I turn my head and they're all on the other side of the street, holding a map, looking just as lost as us!
We eventually got there and met the rest of our school. There are a whopping 27 of us total in that school. Which is not even real. 27 was the number of kids in my smallest AP class in high school.  And the funny part is that there are only 5 guys in our whole program. Needless to say, they're all pretty pumped. Also, all the girls are pretty. Which almost never happens. Which makes me sound evil. But it's true, what are the chances that 22 girls are all pretty? Not very likely.
There are 4 girls in the program from mexico, and I just some how managed to become part of their little group during lunch, chit chatting away in spanish. And it felt good to speak a foreign language and not stutter. hahaha
The rest of the day we spent walking around, seeing what places we get discounts on food with our student ID's and getting to know the area around our school. It's actually right next to Trevi Fountain, and a metro ride away from the Spanish Steps, so it's in a really cool location.
Tragically, I was underfed, which quickly led to me being a bit of a crankster. And by crankster I mean  I was on the verge of full blown bitch.
So now I have inhaled a panini, and am awaiting the arrival of our landlord, who wants to come meet us? I dont know why. Maybe he's going to look for track marks on our arms and lice in our hair. American girls have the absolute worse reputations over here. It's kind of sad. They all think American Broads are drunken whores. Which is a super classy rep, I know. Italians dont drink to get drunk. They get wine, and enjoy it with food and friends. They dont do keg stands and have sex with the hockey team. And I think if America had the same views on alcohol as Europe, maybe the drunken hockey orgies wouldnt happen (for the most part). But when you impose so much structure, you are asking for people to push against it. Who knows though.
I havent had a single energy drink since I've been here, and I havent even had that much coffee. Which might explain why my brain is throbbing.....But still! I'm proud of me.
That's another thing about Rome. People dont take their coffee to go. In the mornings, everyone has made the time to enjoy it at home or sit down and enjoy it in a cafe. Which is interesting because it's a city but the pace of life is so different. They also arent big consumers of energy drinks. Which is an adjustment for me hahaha
Ugh I actually have to go put all my clothes away now. They're just thrown all over my room at the moment. I'm going to have an OCD panic attack if I put this off any longer.

1 commento:

  1. I'll ship you some Odwalla bars. Wouldn't want you to get hungry.

    RispondiElimina