venerdì 18 febbraio 2011

The catch up

Due to the fact that Paris zapped me of all my brain power, I have been a little behind on all the other things I have been up to.

First of all, Valentines Day happened. And It was perfect. I went to a very fancy restaurant with a very handsome gentleman who pulled out my chair and treated me like a lady for the entire evening. This place was actually known for the fact that all the Popes and Cardinals come to eat there. Which is a little bit of a big deal.
Prior to my fancy Vday dinner, LDM (my university, if you can even call it that) set up what they were calling a "Cultural Exchange" meaning we all go to apperitivo at a bar and meet up with Italian students and practice our italian and hopefully make some friends along the way.
I met a couple cool people, but the ages were actually really randomly spread out. There were some middle aged lawyers and balding engineers, so it was a little awkward at some points. Also, they were all there to practice their english, so the whole speaking italian thing, wasnt going according to plan.
But in all honesty, I really do think I'm improving. I got my nails done the other day, and my manicurist didnt really speak english very well, so we relied on my italian to get us by. And she didnt hack off my fingers, so I guess I did alright.

Wednesday night I went with my study abroad program, API, to go see Swan Lake. I was so excited I thought I was gonna pass out (funny, until you realize I faint all the time, haha).
Now here is the thing about API; there are two schools, JCU and LDM. JCU has around 200 students, LDM has well, ummm 27. How that dynamic works out I have no idea. But regardless, only three of us from LDM decided we wanted to go see the Ballet, so we were out numbered by around 60. We kept calling each other the red-headed step children of API because we were so outnumbered and all kind of felt a little awkward.
Thankfully, I got to meet up with two of my really good friends from school, who go to JCU so I was happy as a clam (not too sure why clams are happy, but I roll with it).
Swan Lake was absolutely beautiful. From the moment it started I had goose bumps. There was just so much elegance to the way the dancers moved their bodies. It was like they were weightless. The guys picked them up and swung them around like they were stuffed animals. But I mean, they were probably some of the skinniest women I have ever seen second to Crystal, so I'm sure it wasnt too hard of a task.
As I watched in complete amazement it hit me why I love dance so much. All my life I've loved language, and have always had the good fortune of being bilingual and being able to relate and communicate with lots of different people, even more so now that I am solidifying my knowledge of a third language. But dance is universal. There were no words, because it's a ballet, but yet everyone around me (with an IQ over 60 and an attention span) knew what was going on, what the characters were feeling, and felt the emotion. The audience's emotions swayed with the movements of the dancers. And that is beautiful. That is a universal language.

Side note: i just watched John test the sharpness of a knife by sliding it against his finger tips. Thankfully neither were too sharp. Only a boy would do that.

In other news, I've been making myself meals. YEAH I KNOW. You almost thought it could happen huh? Ya, me too. I mean they havent been grand four course meals or anything, but it is a grand step above ramen with lemon and hot sauce (as delicious as that may be).

Today we're taking a little adventure to Orvieto, or at least I think we are. I'm going with the boys, and boys need to eat around 50 times before they go anywhere. But I'm not complaining, I get to enjoy the spoils.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento