domenica 6 febbraio 2011

I whip my hair back and forth

That song has been stuck in my head all day. It is actually kind of a problem. Because it makes me want to in fact, whip mah hair back and forth. And I'm not trying to do that in public. Well not a lot anyways. Give myself shaken baby syndrome. That doesnt even make sense because I'm not a baby haha

Whoo anyways...
yesterday the weather was absolutely amazing, like beyond all comprehension. I came to Rome during one of the worst winters in New England. Lucky me.
Because the weather was so nice Krista, Erika, and I decided to take advantage and go on a walking tour that one of our travel books recommended. Which is basically like a scavenger hunt, you go to certain sites and places and get to see places in Rome that arent usually know to the public. It was actually a lot of fun. We used a map and DIDNT get lost. One small step for us, one giant step for woman kind. Holla holla.
We only got half way done because it was a really long tour and we were running out of sunlight. But we took pictures of every place that we found along the way. I'd post the pictures here, but that seems redundant because if you're reading this you're probably my facebook friend. And if you arent well...Idk how you're reading this...or why? Weirdo...haha
On our little adventure, a lot of things got me thinking. For example: On our first big stop, the Pantheon, I once again saw the tomb of Raphael. And it's still powerful because he was so respected by his peers. But the man was a whore. And died of syphilis. Or so it's suspected. Now his whorish ways dont take away from all of his accomplishments, but that's because he's a man. Women who did that got stoned (not the good way) and I feel as though that double standard is still so present. And I'm not advocating for women everywhere to be sluts. I'm saying either men and women should both respect themselves more and have stronger morals and not such loose legs (and other things) or men and women should both be reprimanded for living that kind of life style. But that will never happen. And that's because women are out to destroy one another. We're all so catty and judgmental. One more reason why being a guy seems so much better.
But another thing that bothered me while I thought about all this was Raphael's wifey. She is buried there too. But the stories say that she died of a broken heart. I despise that shit. A woman OBVIOUSLY has to die from sadness, because she is too weak to handle grief. Except men never die of grief. Or a broken heart. And here's what I have to say about that: I have met so many pussies claiming to be men it's astonishing. And I think all of them are fully capable of dying of a broken heart. If I died and someone wrote up that I died of a broken heart, I'd come back from the dead and puke on them. What a lame way to go.
Why the pantheon got me going on this feminist train of thought is beyond me, but it does make you wonder.
There were also churches all over the tour that we would go inside and see. Each one greater than the next. And as I would look and marvel at the precise detail put into everything I said "Wow, this was all done for God. This is true devotion." And Krista looked at me and said "Ya but people died doing this, it was done in an evil way." And she's right. They had slaves do this. They stole things. Destroyed things to take the materials. They had such pure intentions and went about it the wrong way. But hey, the road to hell is paved with good intentions, right?
In one of the churches they were playing a hymn through the speakers (high tech) and I thought it was the Harry Potter theme song....I would be lying if I told you I wasnt excited and then slightly disappointed when I found out it wasnt hahaha I get cooler everyday I swear.
The only gothic church in Rome is exactly what you think it will be; The creepiest place of all time. It was dark and ominous and had skulls and tombs everywhere. It was the polar opposite of other churches because the others were gold and flashy, this one was dark and somber. It didnt make you want to pray it made you want to cry. I dont know if that's the reaction they were going for, but I certainly wasnt comfortable in there.
The last stop on our tour brought us face to face with a street performer who tried to touch me and take my cell phone. Now this isnt my iphone, it's some piece of crap cell phone that cost me 19 euro, so the phone wasnt the issue. The issue was the touching. I hate when people I dont know touch me. That's how you get shanked homeboy. Dont go to Springfield just grabbin on people, it will be your last performance. Also, he was a clown. I hate clowns. They're horrifying. When is the last time you trusted a grown man who wears more make up than Joan Rivers? Never, is the answer to that.


But aside from all that jazz, yesterday was also a big day because we officially booked our spring break! Yup, we are going (we being Erika, Krista, and I) are going to London, Dublin, and Scotland! We are now in the works of planning what we want to see so that we can squeeze the most out of our days there. The day before we leave we go to Pompei, so it's going to be quite the week. Needless to say I wont be sleeping much. But sleep in for the weak, and I can do it plenty when I'm dead.

I leave for Paris Thursday at 7am! I've wanted to go to Paris my whole life. I want to wear stripes and eat cheese (when do I not want to do that?) and do all the stereotypical French things. I hope it's as much fun as I am making it out to be. But I mean, everything is what you make it. Everything.

Yesterday was a big day of revelations for me. At one point last semester I was having major issues with a friend of mine because he told me that he didnt believe that you should always say what you're thinking. And I have issues with that because I have no brain to mouth filter. "I think I think I got to say it" and it's how I've always lived my life. It was really frustrating for me knowing that this person was thinking things and not saying them because there were things I really wanted, maybe even needed, to hear. But I never did. So I eventually stopped saying what I had to say and just kind of let everything fester inside, and it ate away at me. Bummer. But now, NOW I get it. I've been dealing with a lot of new people, and you truly cant just say whatever pops into your head. It's getting a lot of people in trouble. Making people like them less. Because they're ill timed, or out of line. Or stupid. Think before you speak, and maybe you wont mess things up for yourself. Or others. I still believe that you should tell people how you feel, but all in due time. This is why I love people. For better or for worse, they all teach you a little something about yourself and the world. And it's always good to be in the know.

As for him, I'll never have to tell him what I was thinking. He's pretty smart. And I'm pretty terrible at hiding emotions. Heart on my sleeve kind of broad.

Enough of my introspective philosophical babble, on to the rest of the day!

Last night was another failed attempt at trying to go to a dance club hahah we are SO BAD at this, but we have fun.
We went to a bar called Scholars, to watch the rugby game. And when we got there it was like Ireland had thrown up everywhere. Every place you turned there was an Irish jersey, or wig, or fake beard, or flag, or green face paint. It was packed! Like sardines in a can. You had to scuffle everywhere and squeeze past the numerous amounts of sweaty dudes, pumped up on male-bonding induced testosterone and copious amounts of alcohol. I personally was ready to set up camp and have a blast people watching all the belligerence. But my posse wasnt feelin it, so we peaced out. But not before a very drunk Irish man grabbed me by the arm, looked me in the eyes, and said "BELLA BELLA BELLA I'M SORRY I DONT SPEAK ITALIAN" All caps because he was yelling. I smiled and said "ciao", because I was flattered that he thought I was Italian.
Next stop? The most magical place on earth! No, not Disney, Sloppy Sams! haha The name in that of itself should give you an idea of how classy this place is. But despite the fact that there is nothing for me to do there except sit and watch people drink, I have a little soft spot for it, because it's the first place we went to as a group. So I dont hate it.
Too bad it was creeper city up in that bitch. But what else is new? I'm a creeper magnet. It's a gift really.
We went there to watch the NC state Duke game, but it wasnt on, (we're going for NC state btw, Duke is the devil) but they didnt end up playing that game, so we went to go get pizza.

It seemed like it was going to be a pretty chill night, until we decided to just hop on a tram and hope it brought us home. Good game plan. JK LOLZ. We ended up riding this bad boy all the way to almost the outside of the city, and getting dropped off at the terminal because it was done running for the night.
So here we are, just chillin. No idea where we are, or how far we are from home, it's around 2am, some of us are a little more coherent than others... and we're basically screwed.
So after some VERY public urination (not by me, obv), some wrong turns, and a lot of laughs, we chase down this cab (that I spotted, get at me), taught the cab driver how to say "little whore" in english (again, not me, and its a long story..) we got home safe and sound.

Today consists of Homework, laundry, cleaning, and more cleaning (my OCD might be getting more intense) because tonight, tonight! Is a big night! SUPER BOWL SUNDAY!!!!! Whooooooo! It's actually Super Bowl Monday for us because it starts at 12:30am here, but that's neither here nor there. I love football. I really do. It makes me think of my Dad and Bro, and all of the games I've been to just to cheer for Charlie, at the top of my lungs.
We're going to an Irish Pub and we're going to get wings, and I'm going to pound back the redbull (I know, you cant handle me). I usually try and refrain from the stereotypical American behavior that gives us a bad rep in this country, but tonight, we're gettin buck wild. I'm going to eat wings, and cheer, and beat on my chest (ok maybe not that) and be proud of football. The one with two O's.
Tomorrow mornings 9 am class will be rough, and none of us are going to look particularly attractive, but if we actually cared, we wouldnt go.

Life here never ceases to amaze me. Everything you do is fun. But I think half of it is attitude. I've always tried to have that attitude, but it's heightened here. And I really want to bring that attitude back with me to the states. Because life is really too short to be anything, but happy.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento