martedì 8 febbraio 2011

It's never goodbye, it's see you later...

Said my farewells via phone today to some very special people in my life. I bet you're confused because I left at the end of January, but they're off to boot camp, then will be stationed in Hawaii before I even make it back to the US. So it was a pretty sappy, snot filled, tear jerking phone call. Luckily no one was home so no one had to see me lookin a mess. Or worse... Showing weakness. Ew.

So one of my previous posts I mentioned that I was going to watch the Super Bowl and an Irish Pub. Well we did, and it was so much fun! Here's the thing though, it was like we were going to a speak easy during the prohibition era... How so you ask? I'll tell you. There were several entrances to this place (called Abbey Theater) but only one door was open, and they were only letting chunks of people in at a time. With this big burly italian man in charge of keeping everyone in order. But I mean, that doesnt really sound like anything out of the ordinary right? It wasnt, until we got inside and saw the capital letter signs everywhere that told us we couldnt cheer, clap, shout, basically be rowdy in any sense of the word. And you're thinking to yourself, "Arent you in a pub? And Irish pub to be exact?" And I was thinking the same thing. I was always under the impression that pubs were the place to get rowdy for sports. Every time Green Bay scored and we would clap and man would come over and say "SHHHHHHH" and no one argued because this man looked like he would not hesitate to pistol whip you.
So after a half time show that was only salvaged by the appearance of Usher, we decided that Green Bay had it in the bag (which they did) and we were going to go home.
Except all the doors were shut down with a metal door (like the kid you have for a garage) and we were like ummmm whats going on...
Turns out this pub wasnt allowed to be open past one, but they decided to be rebels and stay open til five. Which is why we couldnt make any noise.
So we found the bald burly man, and he opened one of the doors and made sure that there was no one coming and let us out. But quickly shut the door behind us. haha
It was actually pretty funny. I mean, an incredible fire hazard, but funny.

Needless to say the next day we were all exhausted because we all got 5 or less hours of sleep. And I mean generally I can handle my "sleep is for the weak" mentality, as long as I am properly fed. BUT on the occasions when I am both over tired, AND hungry...well bad things happen.
I have an alter ego. She isnt a good person. I hide her as well as I can. And she can be tamed with cookies and a nap, but I need real sleep and real food to put her away. It's rather unfortunate really.
Luckily someone thinks I'm special, and decided they were going to take it upon themselves to make me happy, and bought me Sunflowers. Which is my favorite flower. You really cant be in an evil mood when someone buys you flowers. Unless you're actually evil. Or they're being put on your casket. That would be a bummer.

After I tamed the beast I met up with some of the girls in my Film and Mafia class to watch Scarface (the original, we watch the newer one soon). It wasnt the greatest movie I've ever seen, but it was fun to hang out with new people and watch a cinematic classic.
I really like that class. I think I might be the only one though. I'm convinced my teacher is actually in the Mafia. She has like a little spark behind her eye every time she talks about the Mafia. Like I feel like she feels so free to talk about something so secret because she's a part of it, and what a better disguise than to teach about it?! Brilliant! No one would suspect it. Except for me. Because I'm brilliant. Obviously.
Ha, but more so then that, she has just such an interesting manner of speaking and relaying information. She's also kind of a hot mess. But a very Vogue kind of hot mess. One of those women who isnt put together at all, but by not being put together, she manages to look chic? I hate those girls. So lucky. When I dont look put together, I look fugly. No one likes that. She is also like a lot of women in Rome, with very dark eyes, dark hair, dark clothes, and dark mouthes, stained from too many bottles of red wine and copious cartons of cigarettes.
Idk, I like people, so I study them. Makes me sound like a creep. But I do.

In other news, I had to walk to school today. Which is a 45 minute walk. And I mean, I eat a chocolate filled pastry everyday before school, that is the size of my head, so I can use a little extra cardio. But I didnt know how to walk to school...So that took a little bit of map reading. More like map guessing. Kind of hoping that we were looking at the right streets and what not. Luckily we were. The only mishap that we had was we happened to not notice the freshly painted street lines and stepped all up in it. Slipping (but not falling) and leaving little white foot prints everywhere. Oops.
But why did I have to make this walk you ask? Hmmm well no big deal, just a woman decided to kill herself this morning by jumping in front of the metro. And because the metro only runs two ways (annoying, yet so simple) it shuts down. Tragically, turns out this happens a lot here. I would never wanna take myself out that way. So messy. I'm all about clean. Even in death. And look at the inconvenience she caused! hahaha I am fully aware that I am going to hell for things like this, it's ok though, I like it hot.
We wouldve just taken a bus, but there were literally so many people jumping onto the bus that the police had to come regulate it, and the doors werent closing. So people were just smooshed together. I was willing to be late, over having a million strangers grab on me. I'm all set thanks.
There was also some sort of political demonstration near school and SWAT was just chillin there. Idk what was todays deal, but everyone was getting buck wild apparently.

I'm going to go see Much Ado About Nothing tonight! Which is exciting because I love Shakespeare and I love theater. I miss The Guild a lot. I miss being in a play. It's funny, whenever I'm not home the only time I feel totally fulfilled by life is when I'm in a play, doing what I love most. And when I'm not in one, there is this artistic void that I cant seem to fill with anything else.
But when I'm in Rome, I'm always full. My soul is always full. Idc if that sounds corny. Because it's so true.

I've been surviving off of toast and spreadable cheese because I REFUSE to spend money before going to Paris, and toast and cheese is all I have left of my groceries. We leave thursday at around 5 am, which will be rough because I will probably stay up and watch the Carolina Duke game. Because it's a BIG DEAL. In case you werent aware the Chapel Hill and Duke rivalry is the second largest competitive sport rivalry, second to, who else but the Yankees and the Redsox. So ya, shit gets real.

The only thing we have planned for Paris thus far is The Louvre and the Eiffel Tower, but I mean, come on! Those are both such big deals! I'm too excited. I might be getting a little too excited just because I downed two cups of coffee while writing this. Eh, all well.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento